Vase Filler DIY

So I found this awesome apothecary jar at homegoods for super cheep.  I have been looking for one under 30 bucks for a while, so when I spotted this one, I knocked the old lady that was eyeing it out of the way and grabbed it.  But then I looked all around for an appropriate filler and couldn't find one that I liked.  I loved the idea of colorful candy, but on second thought we live in the south where it is humid and I just saw it getting sticky and runny overtime.  Also there is always the worry if it got knocked over then the dogs would get to them before we could and get sick... So I went home with a new jar and no filler.  After some google searching I came across the idea of using dried beans and dyeing them.  Well they turned out awesome.

So here is what I did.  I took a bag of great norther white beans and divided them in half into two ziplock bags.  I took gel food coloring and added sunshine yellow to one bag and sky blue to one bag.  I only added as much as I could scoop out with one toothpick, which isnt much.  Then I shook the bags until the beans were covered.  Then I layed them out on cookie sheets and rubbed them with paper towels to get the extra dye off. Then added them to the jar with some black beans that I bought.. I am soooo happy with the outcome and it matches perfectly with my dinning room!



0 comments:

Post a Comment